Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Obama

Interestingly enough, people here care about the fact that we have elected the first African American president. A man who said he is a teacher, stopped me on the street to ask if I thought having an African American president would eliminate prejudice in our country. I think not and told him that...and we had a nice 10 minute chat and as he left, he asked, "may I ask you...who did you vote for?" I said Obama and he chuckled and gave me a thumbs up. That Obama went to Ghana and not to Kenya is being covered long and hard here. They want that recognition and yet, the corruption is hugs.

Do read either "Unbowed" by Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize or/and "It's Our Turn to Eat" by Michela Wrong. Both will give you a feel for Kenya's past but also will demonstrate today, as well.

My camera died and the camera guy said it truly is beyond repair. I am sooo thankful I made it through the preserve and the orphanage. I am using Rachel's now, but when I uploaded my three, I found she had something like 269 photos. So, not so simple.

Off to dinner with the Nairobi Star guys...more coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment