Sunday, July 26, 2009

Adventuring, Kampala and Jinja, 7/25 and 7/26/09



This lady saw me about to take a photo and she turned and faced the store. My driver asked her to turn and suggested I might give her 2000 shillings. She grinned widely as you can see and I paid her the $1.00 equivalent. She would have had to sell 10 bananas to earn that much. A happy woman indeed!! This is a common site, only surpassed by men carrying huge bundles of firewood or banana leaves on their heads. What she isn't doing is also carrying a child on her back, which is normal here also.

My friend Eddie was here this past weekend and we visited several sites: including the tombs of the Buganda Kings and also the National Museum on Saturday and then, on Sunday, we took a day trip to Jinja and beyond to see the Nile River which crosses at least 8, maybe 9 African countries. More photos and stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment