Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Trauma!!

So, I arrived in steamy Cartagena to find that that my world has been turned upside down. I am not staying at Las Americas where I stayed in 2006 and every visit since then. I have "friends" there and the staff all know me and we joke together and I look forward to teaching English classes and getting my Spanish corrected.

I am, instead, staying at the Hotel Almirante on the 19th floor in a five star hotel which is just gorgeous. The hotel faces the beach and we had the most picture perfect sunset tonight. I couldn't open the window, though if I sign a waiver and assure folks I won't take a dive, someone will come with a special tool and pry the window open for me. Now, I hate heights and wouldn't be leaning out of the window anyway. What is super about this place is that it is near the city center so I can walk to stores and to restaurants. Tonight, I found a supermarket and went and bought some wine, water and coffee....I DO drink a lot!!

So far, all is good. Was great to see the staff at the newspaper and get settled in. Tomorrow will be a full day with systems, news and advertising and the next day, I will be focusing on Human Resources....much to be done there. My head is tired...up at 4:30 a.m. and I haven't heard Spanish in weeks...so keeping up was a tad difficult today. It will be much better tomorrow. Going to bed early tonight....photos tomorrow.

hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment