Friday, June 18, 2010

Seizures....

So, here I am in my second seizure inducing dress...I was training with The Reporter's staff and as you can see in the second photo, I have pen in hand as I tore up their content. There are content opportunities.
Today, I began working with the staff of Addis Admas, an Amharic newspaper. However, they were "busy" so the only ones who showed up were the Finance manager and two clerks. The clerical staff were not involved in any decisions, nor are they involved in any meetings where any planning conversations occur. So, cancelled the day but the Finance guy, Tefera, took me to lunch. Today is Friday, a fasting day. Wednesdays and Fridays in the Orthodox religion here are days without meat. We went to an Ethiopian restaurant and Tefera was quite apologetic because of the lack of meat. I ate seven different concoctions made out of various grains, spiced wonderfully and of course, like usual, scooped up with hunks of injera bread.
The Chief Editor of Addis Admas is a former convict who translated, "Gone with the Wind" into Amharic while in prison. He wrote this on the paper packaging around cigarrette packages and is quite the hero here in Addis Ababa. He apparently also translated, King Lear, and had that produced on stage at some point.
Today was an interesting day because of what wasn't...it wasn't a training day; there weren't normal flush toilets at the Addis Admas offices...we were back to squat and hose down, though, I had my trusty napkins in my briefcase. I did some report writing which was super and was able to proof a few of the business plans and send those back to the teams.
I royally screwed up though. Bruh, from The Reporter called to invite me to dinner tomorrow night at Yod Abysinnia restaurant and I knew I was going there so said, "super, what time?" He said 8 p.m. and that was later than we had planned...but oh well. Two hours later, I realized he works at The Reporter and I am going out to this same restaurant with folks from Capital tomorrow. So, had to call him back, apologize for my forgetting I had plans and thankfully, we could reschedule to Sunday. So, eating out two nights at an Ethiopian restaurant famous for its music and dancing. Should be fun. Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment